The IRS created the following checklist based on common
- Did you choose the correct filing status?
- Did you check the appropriate exemption boxes for
your personal, spousal and dependency exemptions?
- Did you enter the total number of exemptions?
- Did you enter the names and Social Security numbers
for everyone listed on your return exactly as those
names and numbers appear on each person’s Social
Security card? If there have been any name changes,
be sure to contact the Social Security Administration
at ssa.gov or call them at 800-772-1213.
- Did you enter your income on the correct lines?
- Did you calculate deductions and credits correctly,
put them on the right lines and attached the necessary
forms or schedules?
- Did you figure the tax correctly?
- Did you sign and date the return?
- If you filed a paper return, did you use the correct
mailing address from your tax form instructions?
- If you are due a refund and requested direct deposit,
did you double-check your routing and account numbers
for your financial institution?
- Did you make a copy of the signed return and all
schedules for your own records?